One of my favourite meals is my waffle crusted chicken and Maple sauce, I thought I would try a more healthier accompaniment tonight.
I had some Broccoli to use up and decided on some little courgettes. These were really tasty and also low in fat.
Makes about 10 croquettes
1 large broccoli (about 3 cup fulls of florets)
2 eggs beaten
salt & pepper
1 small onion – finely chopped
1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs
1 cup of reduced fat cheddar cheese – grated
1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 210 deg.
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 1 min, then transfer to cold water to stop cooking. Dry off excess water and chop broccoli finely.
- Put eggs, cheese, onion, garlic, sat & pepper into a large mixing bowl then tip in the broccoli and mix through. Add in the panko breadcrumbs and mix again. Place in the fridge for about 1/2 hour to chill, this will help when making croquettes.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Take a small amount into the cup of your hands and shape into a croquette. Place on baking tray and spray with oil. Sprinkle a little paprika on each one and bake for 10 mins.
- Turn over, spray with oil and bake for a further 10 mins or until golden brown and crispy.
Yummy with my waffle chicken, you can find recipe here waffle chicken
Another quick and easy recipe that always tastes great! I was having a lazy afternoon today as it was wet n cold outside, so this was a fab warm comfort lunch that just satisfied my craving for something warm and comforting. I made some of my homemade salsa which went perfectly with it.
2 medium potatoes – peeled and grated
3 spring onions – chopped finely
2 handfuls of cheddar cheese – grated
small handful of parmesan cheese – grated
1/4 cup of flour
1 tsp chilli flakes
Salt & Pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan
- Peel and grate potatoes. Using some kitchen towel squeeze any excess water from potatoes.
- Put potato, cheeses, onions, chilli, egg, salt & pepper and flour into a large bowl and mix through until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop mixture into the pan and flattened with back of spoon to make pancake like shapes.
- Cook for approx 4-5 mins each side.
Serve with some of my lovely salsa. Recipe here:- https://cookingwithluce.wordpress.com/2016/10/15/smokey-tomato-salsa/
Hasselback potatoes now has competition! lol! Using up leftovers in my fridge again! Tasty wee dinner treat tonight.
1 x Chicken Breast
1 tbsp Lightest Philadelphia (Cream Cheese)
Small handful of cheddar cheese – grated. I used my favourite, Scottish Galloway!
1 Smoked Bacon Medallion
Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 deg.
- Place chicken breast on a baking tray and make slices about 1 inch long and 3/4 way down to base.
- Spoon cream cheese into slits, then slice the bacon medallion and place a slice in each slit.
- Sprinkle grated cheddar on top and finish with sprinkle of pepper.
- Oven bake for 25 mins.
Decided to have a Brazilian Theme Dinner to help celebrate Rio 2016 Olympics, I was so pleased with my results, really tasty food.
You can get my Empanadas and Soffritto Recipe here:- https://cookingwithluce.wordpress.com/2016/08/06/empanadas-with-soffritto-filling/
I also made some Brazilian cheesy Bread, not only was I excited that there was cheese in this recipe but also the fact it was bread….I love both so much. Here is my recipe:-
Cheesy Bread – Makes 12
1/4 cup Olive oil (or Canola Oil)
2/3 cup Milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups of tapioca flour – (now I didn’t have this, so I used 1/2 cup Cornflour and 1 cup white flour)
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 190 deg.
- In a bowl mix Milk, oil, salt and egg
- Add in the flour and mix until combined – you should get a slightly thick batter
- Add in the cheese and mix through
- Grease a muffin tin and add about 2 tbsp of mixture into each muffin case.
- Bake for about 25 mins until golden brown on top. Remove and allow to cool. I served with some Spicy tomato Salsa.
Picked up some new cheeses from the Hopetoun Farm Shop.
Orkney Smoked Red Cheddar – amazing and works well with being roasted.
Lazy Ploughmans from the Isle of Kintyre – just like the fav cheese and pickle combo, soft cheese very tasty.
A Smoked Dunlop Cheddar – lovely smoked rich taste
Cairnsmore Ewe’s Mil – very creamy, this is lovely with some caramalised onion chutney.
All served on some wholegrain crackers YUM!
I love Cheese and I love Wine, so this pairing guide is right up my street.
I hope you find it useful too.
Easy Sunday Salad – makes 2 servings
2 x Handfuls of favourite leaves, I used mixed baby leaf and rocket
200g or 2 handfuls of plum or cherry tomatoes
1/2 Chopped cucumber
1 x Chopped red pepper (cooked or uncooked your choice)
1 or 2 x Sliced cooked beetroot
1 x avocado
2-4 slices Halloumi
balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon and lime juice for dressing
1. Mix all salad foods together in a large bowl and pour in dressing
2. Heat a tablespoon of oil on a griddle and fry halloumi cheese for approx 2-3 mins on eash side
3. serve salad mix on a plate, lay cooked beetroot and avocado on top of leaves and then lay halloumi
4. serve and enjoy.