I just love Lazy Sunday mornings, no alarm, no rushing, relaxing healthy breakfast with a good fresh cup of coffee, no better way to start the day. This little breakfast is so tasty and quick to pull together but also very nutritional:-
Spinach (Spinacia oleracea) is one of incredible green-leafy vegetable often recognised as one of the functional foods for its health benefiting nutritional, antioxidants and anti-cancer composition. Its tender, crispy, dark-green leaves are one of the favorite ingredients of chefs all around the world. It is very low in calories and fats (100 g of raw leaves provide just 23 calories). Fresh 100 g of spinach contains about 25% of daily intake of iron, one of the highest for any green leafy vegetables. Fresh leaves are a rich source of several vital antioxidant vitamins like vitamin-A & vitamin-C.
Eggs Eggs are an all-natural source of high-quality protein and a number of other nutrients, all for 70 calories per large egg. One egg has varying amounts of 13 essential vitamins and minerals plus 6 grams of high-quality protein. The high-quality protein in an egg is essential for building and maintaining lean body mass.
Tomatoes are also an excellent source vitamin C, biotin, molybdenum and vitamin K. They are also a very good source of copper, potassium, manganese, dietary fiber, vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene), vitamin B6, folate, niacin, vitamin E and phosphorus. They are usually red when mature, but can come in a variety of colors, including yellow, orange, green and purple. The water content of tomatoes is around 95%. The other 5% consist mainly carbohydrates and fiber. One medium sized tomato (123 grams) contains only 22 calories.
2 Large eggs
Mixture of tomatoes
oil 1 tsp
Chopped Chilli (optional if you like a bit of spice)
- Heat a little oil in a fry pan on medium to high heat, half tomatoes and place face down in pan, cook for about 4-5 minutes or until browned and softened.
- Meanwhile bring a pan of water to boil then reduce to a simmer and place eggs in one at a time to poach, I make a swirling motion in water to help bring the egg together. Poach for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the tomatoes and place a lid on for about 1-2 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Place spinach and tomatoes on to a plate, top with poached eggs and season with rainbow pepper and chilli. YUMMY!
Using some leftovers in my fridge, this is what I came up with for my brunch today. Yes brunch………I had a bit of a lay in this morning.”….I just love Saturday mornings……no alarms…..no rush to get up……no work……heaven.
100g diced chorizo
5 eggs – whisked
4 spring onions – diced
1 orange pepper – diced
1 red onion – diced
6 cherry tomatoes – quartered
parmesan cheese – about 2 tbsps
salt & rainbow peppercorns for seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg
- Fry in a little oil the chorizo and red onion – approx 5 minutes until browned
- Grease a muffin tin
- Place a spoonful of the chorizo in the tin, then sprinkle the peppers, spring onion and tomatoes into the tin.
- Pour in the egg mixture into each tin and then grate a little parmesan cheese on top and season with salt and pepper
- Bake for about 25 minutes
- Allow to cool slightly remove from tin and serve……..so Yummy!
I had seen loads of recipes for this and keen to try it, so today was that day. It turned out really well and so delicious. I am a fan of Maple Syrup so anything with this ingredient I know I’m going to enjoy.
Makes about 4 portions
4 Slices of bread (you can use anything you like) – I used wholemeal.
4 eggs – beaten
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
For the topping:-
1 tbsp cinnamon
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp nutmeg
3 tbsp Maple Syrup
1 tbsp butter
- First oil a casserole dish.
- Lay bread in casserole dish, layering up. I broke my bread into chunks.
- Mix together egg, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and pour over bread in dish
- Leave overnight in fridge to soak or for at least 3 hours.
- Next morning………..preheat oven to 180 deg.
- To make the topping mix together sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup and 1 tbsp butter in a pan until melted together then pour over bread mixture.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes. It will rise slightly.
- Serve with loads of Maple Syrup….Yummy!
I’ve seen posts about Baked French Toast and always wondered how it tastes, so today was that day that I would give it a go. I normally fry my eggy bread so I was intrigued. It tasted amazing with the Maple Syrup and a great Sunday Brunch recipe.
6 slices of thick white bread (it has to be white, I’ve tried wholemeal in the past and it just doesn’t work)
1 cup Milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp sugar (brown or white, your choice)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter – melted
Maple Syrup to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 deg
- Cut bread into long slices. Mix sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla
- Soak the bread in the egg mixture and let excess drip off
- Place some greaseproof or parchment paper on a baking tray and lay the bread strips on top, leaving a small space in between
- Using the melted butter, brush the tops of the slices then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes
- Remove and turn over the slices, repeat with the butter and sugar and bake for a further 15 mins.
- Allow to cool slightly, plate up and drizzle with Maple Syrup…..Yummy!!
With some puff pastry left in the fridge and looking for a tasty Sunday brunch thought I’d have a go at a puff pastry tart. Such a simple and easy yet tasty delight. The fillings are endless too, I now have so many ideas going on in my head for next time…….goats cheese being one of my favourites.
1 sheet of puff pastry
1 egg whisked for the wash
2 egg yolks
handful cherry tomatoes – halved
handful of spinach
salt & pepper to taste
- Firstly cut your pastry into a square, about 5″ x 5″, using a sharp knife draw a square around the pastry about 1 cm in, be careful not to cut right through.
- Brush the pastry with the egg wash.
- Place the spinach in the square then the cherry tomatoes around the edge.
- Place into a preheated oven at 190 deg for approx 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, pour the remaining egg wash into the centre and then place the egg yolks in the middle, put back in oven and continue to cook for approx 10-15mins.
- Remove and serve……Yum!
A great way to start your day, or a fab brunch recipe. Nice and healthy and full of superfoods, what could be better?
Handful of Spinach
Handful of smoked pancetta cubes
2 tbsp of sweetcorn
1/2 avocado – chopped
Grated cheese – Handful
Salt & pepper to taste
- Grease your muffin tin and preheat oven to 180 deg.
- Roughly fry your pancetta cubes in a little oil and pat dry
- Lay the spinach leaves at the bottom of your muffin tin
- Then add in the pancetta, avocado and sweetcorn
- Whisk the eggs and season with salt & pepper
- Pour into the muffin tin then top with some cheese and chopped spinach.
- Bake for approx 20 mins. Yummy!
Always seen this but never tried it, really don;t know why as I love every ingredient that’s involved. This recipe was inspired by J.O., after watching him on TV I decided to give it a go and I have to say it was absolutely delicious. It is normally classed as a breakfast item however we decided to have it for dinner, yummy and so tasty and filling.
Makes enough for 2
2 x Smoked Haddock pieces
2 x eggs
2 x Bay Leaves
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp turmeric
Thumb size ginger – chop small pieces or 1 tsp powdered ginger
1 Red Chilli – chopped
4 Spring onions – chopped
Handful coriander – chopped
150ml natural yoghurt
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 packet of pre cooked wholemeal rice (used this for quickness)
Handful of peas
- Bring large pan of water to boil, place smoked haddock, eggs and bay leaves and simmer for 10 mins.
- Heat up a large fry pan to medium heat and add in mustard seeds, turmeric, ginger, chilli, spring onions, coriander and cook for few mins.
- Add the precooked rice to fry pan, then add in the peas, squeeze lemon juice in and stir to mix through. Cook for 5 mins.
- Remove fish and eggs from pan, remove egg shells and flake fish on a chopping board, the fish should easily come away.
- Mix the yoghurt and sweet chilli in a small bowl and put to side.
- Put the fish into the fry pan and mix through.
- Serve kedgeree onto plates and slice egg in half and place onto of rice to serve. Serve with the yoghurt mix to the side as an option. Yummy!