O.M.G!…this little dish was amazingly tasty and even better, it was under 500 calories too! I am on a mission to eat a bit healthier this year, I generally do, but I’m making more of an effort this year….( I know, I hear you, we all say that in January….lol!) It was also so quick to make, in just 10 minutes my dinner was ready, a great mid week or quick Friday night dinner. Bonus:- Under 500 calories and full of flavour!
150g Wholewheat Penne pasta
6 slices or Parma Ham – chopped
1 red onion – thinly chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 chilli – chopped or 1 tsp dried chillies
60ml creme fraiche
1 handful of frozen peas
small handful of chopped parsley
small handful of chopped mint
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 ladel’s spoonfuls of pasta water
Spray oil – low calorie
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook pasta for about 8-10 mins or follow packet instructions.
- Gently heat spray oil in a fry pan on medium heat
- Add onion, parma ham, chilli and garlic and cook through. Half way add 2 ladle’s of the pasta water.
- When pasta is ready, drain and add to the pan along with the peas, cook for 2 minutes to heat peas through.
- Add creme fraiche, parsley, mint & grate lemon zest and stir through, only for 30 secs. Ready to serve.
This is a proper little winter warmer dish. While away in our Xmas holiday cottage it was a chilly -3 with frost on the ground, while we were feeling cosy in our warm cottage we wanted something filling and warm in our bellies, so using up some of my store cupboard ingredients this little dish was perfect. (p.s. don’t forget the glass of chardonnay…..perfect match, I think…..lol!)
Makes 2 servings
1 tsp olive oil
1 large leek, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
150g pearl barley
2 carrots, cubed
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
500ml Chicken Stock
2 Chicken Breasts – chopped to bite size pieces
150g savoy cabbage, finely shredded
100g smoked bacon, chopped
Black pepper and salt for seasoning
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the leeks, bacon, chicken and garlic until browned.
- Add the pearl barley, carrots and mustard, then pour over the chicken stock. Season with plenty of ground black pepper and simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cabbage and cook for 5-10 mins until cabbage is wilted and tender.
- Serve. Yummy!
Decided to have a chinese nibble tonight, and you can’t have chinese without peanut satay….I just love peanut sauce. Having my Crisper plate I decided to try this plate instead of on my griddle and yip it cooked the chicken amazingly well, in only 8 minutes too….browned on both sides.
Made 6 skewers
2 Chicken Breasts cut into large strips or small pieces
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp Sriracha sauce
2 tsp ground ginger
2 cloves garlic minced
- Put all of above ingredients (except the chicken) in a bowl and mix together.
- Add in the chicken and toss to coat, leave in the fridge overnight preferably or for at least 4 hours to marinate.
- When ready soak the wooden skewers and thread the chicken onto the skewers.
- Preheat the crisper tray for 3 minutes, then place the skewers onto the plate and cook on crisper setting for 8 minutes…..no need to turn.
- Serve with some Peanut Dipping Sauce. (I used shop bought)
I was so excited last week as I received my Pasta Maker Attachment for my Kitchen Aid Mixer. I decided to give Wonton wrappers a go…….well what can I say, I just love this little gadget, so easy to use and perfect wraps. I decided to cook them 2 ways, 1 boiled and 1 oven baked for a crispy texture.
Unfortunately I didn’t cut them big enough for actual wonton shapes so wonton rolls/parcels it was……lol. (lesson learned)
For the Dough
150g plain flour
1 egg beaten
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp hot water
For the Filling
1 tbsp oil
3 spring onions – chopped
250g chicken – minced
2cm ginger – finely chopped
1 clove garlic – finely chopped
2 heaped tbsp creamed corn
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce or kepcup manis (if you can get it)
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp dried chillies
- Using the flat beater on your mixer, mix together flour, salt, hot water, oil and egg for about 2 minutes, change to the dough hook and knead until you get a soft silky dough, approx 8-10 minutes. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for about 30mins-1 hour.
- Remove from fridge and with floured hands knead for 30 secs. Cut into slices about 2cm thick.
- Attached the pasta attachment and flour, firstly put dough through on level 1 then pull through and fold then put through on level 2 twice, now turn to level 4 and turn through twice again, then finally turn to level 6 and turn through 2 or 3 times until the dough is almost see through. & repeat.
- Lay dough sheets onto a lightly floured surface and cut into rectangles
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a fry pan and gently fry the spring onions, garlic, ginger and chicken mince until browned. (if you have breast just use a processor to blitz into mince)
- Place chicken mix into the mixing bowl, then add creamed sweetcorn, sauces, chilli, sesame seeds and salt & pepper, mix for a minute until combined.
- Lay dough sheets out and take 1-2 tsp of mixture and place in centre, lightly moisten the edges with water to help seal and pull up the edges to make a wonton, make sure it is tight and no air, if you’ve cut the dough too small (like me..lol) just roll them up and pinch the sides (almost like a spring roll type parcel). Repeat
- To boil….bring a pan to boiling point reduce by 1 and place each wonton in to cook for about 3-5 minutes depending on size.
- To Bake….preheat oven to 200 deg, place on a lightly greased baking tray and bake for about 12-15 minutes.
- I served with sweet chilli sauce (shop bought)……….oh so yummy!
I so love this little Gadget that Hotpoint have invented, this little crisper plate is used with the Combi Microwave to cook/bake food in a fraction of the time but with oven ready results. The Chicken is still succulent, vegetables cook perfectly and potatoes nice & soft without par boiling. It is great for quick meals, especially during the week when your busy with work etc.
Come in from work today hungry and couldn’t wait, so this was the outcome tonight & in just 12 minutes………….YES…..just 12 minutes!
2 Chicken Breasts – Cut into 1 inch cubes or you could do strips
2 tsps of Harissa Paste
1 onion – cut into wedges
Selection of mini sweet peppers – cut in half
4 Charlotte potatoes cut into wedges
Salt & pepper to taste
- Season the chicken with salt & pepper then spoon the harissa paste into a bowl with the chicken and coat.
- Lightly oil the vegetables and potatoes then season
- Place everything onto the pre-heated crisper plate and cook for 12 minutes.
I can’t tell you how this little crisper has changed my cooking methods and even given me quicker cooking times too. It is used in my Combination oven by Hotpoint, the microwave heats up the crisper plate and maintains the heat to cook and crisp from the bottom while the grill comes on to cook and crisp from the top……genius.
4 Italian Sausages (of course you can use any sausage flavour) – cut into thirds
6-8 charlotte potatoes – cut in half
1 red onion – cut into wedges
1 yellow and red pepper – sliced
1 clove garlic
Seasoning:- Pepper, Salt and rosemary
- Preheat crisper plate using dynamic crisp setting for 3 minutes
- Put all ingredients onto the plate and season
- Cook using the metal round stand for about 10 minutes then remove, shake (ensuring sausages are getting browned all round) and put back in for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve, if you like your sausages well cooked then put back in for another 5 minutes.
- Just keep your eye on them.
Yummy quick dinner, NO pans, NO baking trays….simple cleaning up too!
I love one pot meals, easy and hardly no washing up, if your sink looks like this after making a meal, then you need this in your life.
Sometimes I just want something quick and this little Steampot that came with my Hotpoint Combi oven is great for this, you just put everything in and cook.
150g Long grain and wild rice (you can just use long grain)
2 Chicken Breasts – cubed
300ml Chicken Stock
2 tbsp Smoked paprika
1 tbsp dried chillies
1 tin of garden peas (drained)
1 red pepper – chopped
1 white onion – sliced
Chopped Chorizo (my favourite is Picante)
Pinch of Saffron
- Coat Chicken in the paprika
- Place everything into the steam pot and place lid on
- Cook on the Automatic Rice Setting for 18 minutes.
- Perfectly cooked paella, the rice is amazing.