I just love Lazy Sunday mornings, no alarm, no rushing, relaxing healthy breakfast with a good fresh cup of coffee, no better way to start the day. This little breakfast is so tasty and quick to pull together but also very nutritional:-
Spinach (Spinacia oleracea) is one of incredible green-leafy vegetable often recognised as one of the functional foods for its health benefiting nutritional, antioxidants and anti-cancer composition. Its tender, crispy, dark-green leaves are one of the favorite ingredients of chefs all around the world. It is very low in calories and fats (100 g of raw leaves provide just 23 calories). Fresh 100 g of spinach contains about 25% of daily intake of iron, one of the highest for any green leafy vegetables. Fresh leaves are a rich source of several vital antioxidant vitamins like vitamin-A & vitamin-C.
Eggs Eggs are an all-natural source of high-quality protein and a number of other nutrients, all for 70 calories per large egg. One egg has varying amounts of 13 essential vitamins and minerals plus 6 grams of high-quality protein. The high-quality protein in an egg is essential for building and maintaining lean body mass.
Tomatoes are also an excellent source vitamin C, biotin, molybdenum and vitamin K. They are also a very good source of copper, potassium, manganese, dietary fiber, vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene), vitamin B6, folate, niacin, vitamin E and phosphorus. They are usually red when mature, but can come in a variety of colors, including yellow, orange, green and purple. The water content of tomatoes is around 95%. The other 5% consist mainly carbohydrates and fiber. One medium sized tomato (123 grams) contains only 22 calories.
2 Large eggs
Mixture of tomatoes
oil 1 tsp
Chopped Chilli (optional if you like a bit of spice)
- Heat a little oil in a fry pan on medium to high heat, half tomatoes and place face down in pan, cook for about 4-5 minutes or until browned and softened.
- Meanwhile bring a pan of water to boil then reduce to a simmer and place eggs in one at a time to poach, I make a swirling motion in water to help bring the egg together. Poach for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the tomatoes and place a lid on for about 1-2 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Place spinach and tomatoes on to a plate, top with poached eggs and season with rainbow pepper and chilli. YUMMY!
Breakfast at the weekends are my favourite……..long lazy mornings, the smell of fresh coffee, listening to some morning relaxing music on the radio, (oh I sound old…I should say Spotify!….lol!) a good homemade filling breakfast that sets you up for the day……sound perfect? It’s even more perfect when you have a gadget that simply works everytime, and only 1 pan to ever wash up….now that sounds perfect….does it not?
I’ve made hash browns before using a fry pan on hob, but thought I’d try on my crisper plate and wow, so easy, cooked to perfection, no oil used so therefore its healthier, no turning over and non stick………I’ve said it before but I love this little plate.
2 Potatoes – I used Maris Pipers with skin on, all the flavour is in the skin – don’t peel
Salt & pepper
Knob of Butter
Choice of spices or herbs (I used Turmeric for this one, 2 tsp) I’ve also made it with crushed red peppers for some spice and also a little curried powder.
- Wash potatoes then grate using the large holes on a grater
- Preheat the crisper plate on dynamic crisp for 3 minutes, remove from oven and put knob of butter in to melt.
- Sprinkle the potatoes over the plate, leaving small gaps (like a spiders web), this allows the steam to escape and the potatoes to crisp up nicely
- Season with Salt & pepper & your spices or herbs
- Bake on dynamic crisp setting for 6 minutes
- Remove from oven and crack 2 eggs on top of potatoes, put back in and bake for 1m30sec for runny and 2m for hard egg.
- When you slide it off of the plate it should all stick together like a web.
This was a little healthy dessert recipe I found on line, although having double portions doesn’t make it healthy…lol! It was so delicious we had to have seconds.!
Makes 4 pots
100g scottish rasperberries
80g dark chocolate
2 egg whites
2 tsp caster sugar
1/2 Cadbury crunchy bar – chopped
- Firstly melt the chocolate either in a bowl over warm water or on level 1 on an induction hob.
- Set aside and allow to cool. (approx 10 mins)
- Whisk egg white until stiff then whisk in the sugar
- Mix quark into the chocolate mixture
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mix.
- Add in the chopped honeycomb, leaving a few chunks to decorate after
- Place some rasperberries in the bottom of the dish then spoon some of the mixture evenly into each dish. Top with crunchy bits and rasperberries.
I can’t tell you how this little crisper has changed my cooking methods and even given me quicker cooking times too. It is used in my Combination oven by Hotpoint, the microwave heats up the crisper plate and maintains the heat to cook and crisp from the bottom while the grill comes on to cook and crisp from the top……genius.
4 Italian Sausages (of course you can use any sausage flavour) – cut into thirds
6-8 charlotte potatoes – cut in half
1 red onion – cut into wedges
1 yellow and red pepper – sliced
1 clove garlic
Seasoning:- Pepper, Salt and rosemary
- Preheat crisper plate using dynamic crisp setting for 3 minutes
- Put all ingredients onto the plate and season
- Cook using the metal round stand for about 10 minutes then remove, shake (ensuring sausages are getting browned all round) and put back in for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve, if you like your sausages well cooked then put back in for another 5 minutes.
- Just keep your eye on them.
Yummy quick dinner, NO pans, NO baking trays….simple cleaning up too!
I love one pot meals, easy and hardly no washing up, if your sink looks like this after making a meal, then you need this in your life.
Sometimes I just want something quick and this little Steampot that came with my Hotpoint Combi oven is great for this, you just put everything in and cook.
150g Long grain and wild rice (you can just use long grain)
2 Chicken Breasts – cubed
300ml Chicken Stock
2 tbsp Smoked paprika
1 tbsp dried chillies
1 tin of garden peas (drained)
1 red pepper – chopped
1 white onion – sliced
Chopped Chorizo (my favourite is Picante)
Pinch of Saffron
- Coat Chicken in the paprika
- Place everything into the steam pot and place lid on
- Cook on the Automatic Rice Setting for 18 minutes.
- Perfectly cooked paella, the rice is amazing.
Using some leftovers in my fridge, this is what I came up with for my brunch today. Yes brunch………I had a bit of a lay in this morning.”….I just love Saturday mornings……no alarms…..no rush to get up……no work……heaven.
100g diced chorizo
5 eggs – whisked
4 spring onions – diced
1 orange pepper – diced
1 red onion – diced
6 cherry tomatoes – quartered
parmesan cheese – about 2 tbsps
salt & rainbow peppercorns for seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg
- Fry in a little oil the chorizo and red onion – approx 5 minutes until browned
- Grease a muffin tin
- Place a spoonful of the chorizo in the tin, then sprinkle the peppers, spring onion and tomatoes into the tin.
- Pour in the egg mixture into each tin and then grate a little parmesan cheese on top and season with salt and pepper
- Bake for about 25 minutes
- Allow to cool slightly remove from tin and serve……..so Yummy!
I got a Steam Pot with my Hotpoint Combi oven, so I decided to try something different to the normal fish and vegetables. Steam cooking is such a healthy way to cook as it keeps all the nutrients, moisture and structure in the food.
For the Chicken:-
2 Chicken Breasts – season with salt & pepper & crushed spiced red pepper (or chilli)
- Place 200ml of water into the steam pot and place the grid in the pot.
- Place the chicken breasts onto the grid plate and put on the lid.
- Select Steam Cooking and steam for 10 minutes.
Result:- perfect succulent juicy chicken
For the Rice:-
150g of Long grain and wild rice (approx 75g per person)
300ml of Chicken Stock
- Place the rice into the steam pot (remove the grid)
- Pour the stock into the rice and cover with the lid
- Cook on the rice setting for 18 minutes
Result:- perfectly cooked rice
I slightly cheated and bought some ready made Chow mein sauce which I heated up in a pan for a few minutes and poured over chicken and rice…..so yummy!
Serve with a Fortune Cookie! (For a bit of fun!)