I love pizza……….and always make my own, that way I can make it a bit healthier and not feel guilty eating it. Here are two different toppings we done this weekend. I also used my pizza stone to crisp the bottom of my pizza.
Makes 2 large pizza bases
For the Pizza Base:-
200g White Flour
200g Wholemeal Flour
7g yeast sachet
300ml warm water
1 tbsp golden caster sugar
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
- Sift the flours into a bowl along with the salt. Make a well in the middle.
- Add the yeast to the warm water and sugar, stir and let sit for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile pre-heat oven to 220 deg or Pizza setting, if you have one.
- If you have a pizza stone, preheat.
- Little at a time add the yeast water to the flour and mix in until you get dough like mixture.
- Put a little olive oil on your worktop and knead the dough for about 10 mins, stretching all the time until elastic like.
- Prove the dough for about 1 hour or until double in size. Cut dough into 2 parts and wrap in cling film, refrigerate for about 1/2hr or overnight. (I find doing this make the dough easier to roll out)
- Roll out to desired thickness and size. Prick with a fork so it doesn’t rise too much and cook gently at 220 deg for 5-10 mins.
- Base now ready for toppings.
Tomato sauce topping:-
1 400g chopped tin tomatoes
1 garlic clove – chopped
1 handful of basil
salt and pepper
- Gently cook the garlic and basil with salt n pepper. Add in the tin tomatoes and heat through for about 15 mins. Ready to serve.
You can of course use any toppings of your choice, this is what I used:-
1 Choice:- Chorizo, Red Pepper, Grilled Chicken pieces, mozzarella, red onion grated cheddar cheese for top.
2 Choice:- Chorizo, Red pepper, mozzarella, mushrooms, grated cheddar for top.