It was snowing outside and got down to -2 deg here at home in central Scotland and I was desperate for some warm home cooked Sunday Food (by Sunday food, I mean Hearty). I had sausages, winter veg and some harissa paste I needed to use, so this was my Sunday Meal and it didn’t half warm me up too. Happy Sunday!
The thing I loved about this was, it is a 1 pot wonder, chuck everything in 1 pot and cook, not only is it easier but it saves my boyfriend on the washing up…lol! We have a nice little agreement, I cook, he cleans……think I got the better deal! lol!
5 Scottish Beef Sausages (I used Beef, but you could use pork also if preferred)
1/2 White onion – sliced into wedges
1/2 Red onion – sliced into wedges
1 Parsnip – peeled and halved lengthways, then halved again (about 10cm length)
2 Carrots – peeled and halved lengthways, then halved again (about 10cm length)
1 Medium Sweet Potato – peeled and cut into cubes about 2cm sq.
1 Clove Garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp harissa paste
3/4 pint hot vegetable stock
250g Tin of Chickpeas
250g Tin Tomatoes
Black pepper to season
Fresh Coriander to serve
- Firstly prepare your vegetables.
- Heat oil in a pan and brown the sausages then place to the side.
- In the remaining oil fry the onions until browned and soft.
- Add in the garlic, tomato puree and harissa paste and cook for about 1 min.
- Add in the sweet potatoes, parsnip, carrots and sausages, pour over the stock and season. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add in tin tomatoes and chickpeas and warm through for about 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and plate up, sprinkling some chopped coriander on top.
Servings Per Recipe: 2
Amount Per Serving
- Total Fat: 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0.6 g
- Cholesterol: 19.9 mg
- Sodium: 1217.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 123.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 31.3 g
- Sugars: 31.8 g
- Protein: 32.6 g