Serves 10 – 259 calories
500g strong white flour or 250g gluten flour with 250g white flour
1 tsp caster sugar
1tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1 sachet fast action yeast
2 tsp Truvia or alternative calorie free sweetner
1 tsp salt
250ml tepid milk
50g light butter softened
75g mixed fruit
25g glace ginger, chopped
zest of 1 orange
1 tbsp flour for the cross topping
2 tbsp low sugar jam or marmalade for glaze.
1. Preheat oven to 200 deg
2. Put the flour, sugar, spice, yeast, Truvia and salt into a bowl and mix. Stir in the milk, butter and egg to a soft dough.
3. Mix in the dried fruit and glace ginger with the orange zest.
4. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 10 mins. Place in oven at 40 deg and prove for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
5. Meanwhile, make the topping by mixing the plain flour to a smooth paste with 2 tsp of water. Spoon into a piping bag.
6. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces and shape. Place on a lghtly floured baking tray and pipe paste mix into a cross onto each one.
7. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until golden. Heat jam or marmalade gently until melted and smooth, as soon as buns come out of oven brush with glaze and set aside to cool.
These are great with sugar free jam or lightly toasted with some butter.