This makes a dense cake with great texture. Serves approx 16 (26cm cake)
320g toasted Almonds
320g very dark chocolate (70-90% cocoa)
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon or lime rind
2 teaspoon finely grated orange or mandarin zest
8 large eggs – seperated
75g caster sugar or 1/2 cup of replacement sugar (like splenda or xylitol)
1. Pregheat oven to 170 deg, line a 26cm cake tin with baking paper
2. Put almonds and chocolate into a food processor and chop to medium-fine. (Do not process to a powder)
3. Add in the citrus zest and egg yolks, mix well to form a stiff mixture.
4. In a large clean bowl beat the egg whites until thick and glossy and trickle in the sugar little at a time.
5. Fold in 3 to 5 big spoonfuls of the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture and combine very well. Carefully fold in the remaining egg whites. It needs to be gently and thoroughly combined with no white spots, but be careful not to over mix as this will make it too dense.
6. Pour into baking tin and cook for approx 1 hour. Once done, let cool in tin. Servce with some creme fraiche or mascarpone or alternative.
Total Carbs per 150g, 9.45g per slice (using 85% chocolate and sugar)