Another amazing purchase from the Food Assembly this week, Fresh Rainbow Beetroots and Carrots….I just love the colours and design of these vegetables, makes my plate of food more exciting. I made some lovely Italian potatoes to go with these for my fantastic veg dinner tonight. So tasty, full of flavour and very, very healthy, at under 400 calories per plate it’s a winner!
4 small roasting potatoes – cut into 4 lengthways (like wedges)
1 yellow beetroot – sliced (just look at the lovely rings inside)
1 purple carrot – chopped into chunks
1 orange carrot – chopped into chunks
Salt & pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 210 deg.
- In a roasting tin, lightly spray base with light spray oil and place the potatoes facing upward in the dish. Sprinkle with a little olive oil and Italian seasoning to desired taste, then grate a little parmesan cheese over top of potatoes.
- In a separate roasting tin, place in beetroot and carrots and spread out evenly, sprinkle a little olive oil over and season with salt & pepper, nothing else, you want to taste the amazing flavours from these vegetables.
- Place both in hot oven and bake for about 40 minutes.
- 5 minutes before ready, remove potatoes and grate a little more parmesan cheese and put back.
This Monday I went to my local Food Assembly to pick up all of my lovely fresh meat, vegetables and eggs, I decided to try some of the Lemon Balm from Rhone Cottage, https://www.facebook.com/Rhone-Cottage-1532484203665299/ . Looking at what I could use it with I decided a lovely healthy tuna bean salad and the lemon balm leaves just added that lovely flavour of lemon, it was very fragrant and gave that extra zing.
Serves 2 Approx 350 calories per serving.
1 tin tuna
1 tin of black eyed beans
1/2 red onion – chopped finely
3 spring onions – chopped
1 yellow pepper – sliced and diced
Handful of fresh sweetcorn
Handful of fresh garden peas
1 tbsp red chilli pepper flakes (optional)
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp mayonnaise
small handful of lemon balm – chopped finely
- Heat through the black eyed beans, approx 4-5 mins on medium heat, remove and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, mix everything else in a large mixing bowl making sure everything is coated.
- Add the black eyed beans, mix through and then serve with a sprinkle of the lemon balm on top. Yummy!
That’s when you know they are homemade when they aren’t quite perfectly put together…..Ooops!, my second one, the top shrunk a bit, however, they are still very, very tasty!
Makes 2 – 9.5cm pies
400g Scottish Stewing Steak
Pre-rolled shortcrust pastry
1 red onion – sliced
1 carrot – sliced
400ml Beef Stock
2 tbsp gravy granules
salt & pepper
1 tsp Thyme
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 deg, or if you have a pastry setting, set that.
- Press the pastry into 2 9.5cm pie tins, and blind bake for 10 mins. Leaving some pastry aside for your top. Remove and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, brown your steak in a little olive oil in a pan and season with salt & pepper.
- Add in the onion and brown, then add in the carrot, beef stock and bay leaf, bring to the boil, then simmer for 2 hours until meat is tender.
- Stir in the gravy granules the meat pot to thicken up the sauce.
- Now fill up your pastry cups with the meat mixture and sprinkle some thyme on top.
- Cut out 2 round lids from pastry and press onto bases making sure you press the sides and attached to the base. Brush with a little egg.
- Bake in an oven at 180 deg for 30 mins.
- Remove from tins, and serve….Yummy!
Want to get more veg into your life, eat healthy without compromising on flavour? This little creation ticks all those boxes, lovely little dinner after my workout at the Spin Studio.
Makes 1 serving.
1 x Courgette
50g Brown Rice
70g tin tomatoes
Black Olives – Small Handful (about 5 halved)
1 tbsp Black Olive Tapenade
1 tbsp Olive oil
Squeeze of Lemon Juice
1 tsp garlic
Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Basil
Salt to taste
- Pre heat oven to 210 deg.
- Slice Courgette in half and scoop out centre, place on baking tray and bake for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile cook Quinoa and rice as per packet, mix together
- Add in tin tomatoes and mix through, heat gently
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix through thoroughly.
- Remove courgette from oven and spoon mixture into the boats…..Serve! Yummy!
Approx calories 241 per serving.
Looking again for something different, thought I’d combine my breakfast together, with my love of Green Tea and Porridge in the morning this was a bit of a chance but it kinda worked!
200ml Green Tea
15g Chia Seeds
7g Toasted Coconut Flakes
7 g Walnuts – chopped
- Make your Green Tea as usual, add in the milk and Chia Seeds and mix, allow to blend together overnight in the fridge.
- In the morning, put your porridge oats in a bowl, pour over the green tea and chia mixture.
- Cook in the microwave at 800 watt for approx 3 mins.
- Sprinkle Toasted Coconut and Walnuts on
- Serve….Yummy and very nutritious!
I recently picked up some Amaretto Flavoured Coffee from my favourite shop ‘Brodies Country Fare’ https://www.brodiecountryfare.com/ , the coffee is manufactured by Edinburgh Tea & Coffee Company. I love a good after dinner coffee and as I love Disaronno, so this was the perfect little purchase.
To make it extra special I frothed up my milk and grated some luxury dark chocolate on top……oh Yum! So delicious.
A Healthier and Lighter way for a truly scrumptious pie. Love this combination and love the fewer calories using filo. We do love our pie Sunday’s.
Makes 2 pies
2 Chicken Breasts – cubed
1 Leek – sliced finely
4 lean smoked bacon – sliced
1 Chicken Stock cube
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp nutmeg
Salt & pepper
- Brown chicken in a medium heat pan, the remove from pan
- In the same pan brown the bacon and remove from pan
- Saute the leeks in the same pan and remove
- Melt butter in the pan and gently stir in the flour to a smooth paste
- Crumble the chicken stock cube into the milk and the slowly add to the pan little at a time stirring until thickened.
- Add the chicken, leeks, and bacon, season and add nutmeg then simmer for 15 mins.
- Brush the filo sheets with melted butter or a little olive oil.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into an oven dish equally then scrunch each filo sheet and add to top of mixture in dish.
- Bake in an oven 180 deg for 20-25 mins until golden brown.
- Serve with some veg or potatoes….Yummy!
I always know I’ve made a perfect pie when my partner leaves nothing on the plate..lol.!